- 500+ Experts Online to help you 24x7
- Guaranteed Grade or Get Money Back!
- Rated 4.8/5 Out of 5087 Reviews
Operations management is a wide concept associated with assessment, review and control of activities like manufacturing of goods and services within an organisation. It is a process which initiates from the control of raw materials and continues till they get converted into finished goods (Boyd and Dougherty, 2016). Also, it is concerned with maintaining the quality of products and managing to create a systematic balance between costs and revenues of entity. Leaders along with managers play an important role in operations management. The present report is based upon Japanese company Toyota which is a multinational vehicle manufacturing entity. This company is at sixth position in terms of revenue as per the reports of September 2018. It is headquartered in Toyota city, Japan. This report includes the roles and characteristics of managers and leaders. Also, it explores various approaches of operations management along with the applicable theories and models. Besides this, leadership approaches and pestle analysis of organisation have been discussed.
P1. Roles and characteristics of leaders and managers
Leaders and managers are inseparable components of an enterprise. By performing their roles and responsibilities well, they ensure the growth and profitability of the business concerns.
Leader: An individual responsible for motivating employees and aligning their behavioural characteristics towards the accomplishment of organisational goals and objectives is called a leader (Ellitan, 2017). Within Toyota, leaders make use of their confidence and positive attitude to encourage personnel for performing to the best of their potential. This ensures timely completion of tasks and realisation of goals of company in a timely manner.
Role of Leaders in Toyota
- Leaders within Toyota are known for aligning the behaviour of individuals towards the vision of company and ensuring that operations are being carried out accordingly.
- They ensure that work is being carried out in the stipulated manner so as to maintain the effectiveness and efficiency of tasks.
Characteristics of leaders in Toyota
- Leaders in Toyota are honest and committed towards their work, thus, they are able to influence individuals to undertake the same approach.
- Leaders of Toyota possess a charismatic personality due to which they become idols for their subordinates and enhance their performance.
Managers: A person who possess the authority of managing the way in which tasks are assigned and performed within an organisation is called a manager (Eraki, 2015). Within Toyota, managers pass on the instructions of top management to subordinates and ensure that operations are being carried out accordingly. They are the linking pin between top and low level management.
Role of Managers in Toyota
- The prima-facie role of managers within Toyota is management and control of tasks as well as performance of personnel.
- Managers of Toyota are responsible for communicating necessary and relevant information to lower level staff such that they can provide their support towards accomplishment of organisational goals and objectives.
Characteristics of Managers in Toyota
- Managers in Toyota are creative and emotionally stable so as not to let frustration and anger overrule their authority over subordinates.
- Managers of the enterprise prioritise the tasks according to their importance and the assign the work to individuals on the basis of their educational and professional backgrounds. This assists in timely completion of allotted tasks.
Similarities between Managers and Leaders of Toyota
- Both managers and leaders work together towards the same goal, i.e., business growth and enhanced profitability of enterprise.
- Leaders as well as managers within the organisation strive to increase the morale and confidence of employees ton ensure timely achievement of goals and objectives (Fan, Liu and Zhang, 2015).
Differences between Managers and Leaders of Toyota
Basis of Comparison