- 500+ Experts Online to help you 24x7
- Guaranteed Grade or Get Money Back!
- Rated 4.8/5 Out of 5087 Reviews
The strategic resource management plays an essential role in organisation. Resources are considered as an asset for an organisation as it contribute in achieving goals and objectives. Strategic resource management work as a partner with the management in organizational success. They develop the strategies to utilize potential of individual and opportunity within the human resource department to make other departments more efficient and effective (Cunneen, 2008).
Presently, the report is focusing on the hotel Marriott and The human resource department of The Marriott hotel treat their employees as assets as they are the representative of the hotels towards the guests. The present report is focuses on the contribution of strategic resource management of the hotel and how they contribute in the success of the organisation. The report also describe the different process activities, such as human resource management, physical resource management and information system. (Torrington, and et.al., 2007).
1.1 Consideration of the objectives and contribution of HRM in the achievement of organization-
According to the well known author McGraw Hill “Human resource department is responsible for employee relations, recruitment, staffing, training and development, rewards, pensions, facilities and safety”. The objectives of hospitality business mainly focus on the guests and the services. For that, the challenging aspect of human resource department is to identify that strategy by which they can achieve the desired objectives. (Armstrong, Baron, 2007).
The main objectives of Marriott's human resource department is concerned with the clients and guests, these ar
Customer service- The main objective of a hospitality organization is customer satisfaction. For this they rely on employee’s performance. Marriott hotel is already established in the hotel industry and customers have faith in their services.
Service quality- Customers loves good services and want to utilize it as full as they can. This includes the food services, room services and healthy and safe environment.
Volume- Customer volume is the one of primary objective of the industry. Sufficient customers traffic and full occupancy of rooms is important for the business.
The contribution of HRM department in Marriott' s success is really appreciable. They train their employees very effectively to make an impression on the guests. Their services are quick and impressive. They provide special training for those employees who directly interact with the guest regarding solving issues as quick as possible(Smith, 2011).
1.2 Critical evaluation of the role of Human Resource management-
Employee is an important asset in the hospitality business, strong work force is always in demand in hotel industry. Management of the Marriott hotel is always looking for good, qualified and hard-working employees to maintain their reputation in the hotel world. Human resource management is responsible to cover almost every aspect of the hotel. In the hotel Marriott, HRM is an integral and significant part. The employees working individually or collectively together gives their contribution to achieve the objectives.
The role of Human Resource Management in an organisation is one that has been evaluated by the times as the expectations, values and needs of employees have been changing. The main HRM function in the organisation is to fulfil its objectives in creating an environment for engaging employees and challenging them to perform with the strategy(Doyle, Stern, 2006). The hotel industry has two keys success factors which is relating to human capital are speed and efficiency. In the hospitality business, employees are in direct contact with the guests in the role of waiters, attendant, receptionists etc. and are seen as been involved in the achievement of objectives. (Kotler, and et.al., 2009).
Functions of HRM in hospitality industry are as follows-
- They are responsible to hire effective and hard-working work force,
- Provide effective training to improve their performance.
- To get most appropriate employees for the particular task.
- To maintain personal administration.
- To manage manpower management.
- To maintain employee relation and behaviour.
1.3 The importance of of human resource requirement for the success of businesses-
Human resource work as a life blood in any business. They create a specific management structure for the organisation to run their business. There are many areas which describe the requirement of human resource in the organisation. some of these are -
- Strategy making- HR plays important role in strategy making for all the departments. They are always looking for make that strategies which enhance the capabilities of human capital.
- Recruitment- this function of HR plays a deciding role in the success of organisation. Hotel industry always in need for the recruitment of strong work force with the potential power. Because there are many task which required physical potential in this industry.
- Training and development- the department provide training and development for the new people and for the existing employees, to get familiar the new ones and to the improvement of those who are already working.
- Liability- human resource is liable to the issues related with employees, related to allegations of unfair employment practices. They identify , investigate and resolve workplaces issues that left unattended.
- Compliance- this issue is really crucial for all organisations. HR ensure the management that the organisation complies with employment laws. They always monitor compliance with applicable laws through maintaining employee flow logs, written affirmative actions plans etc.
2.1 Evaluation of the recruitment and retention strategies-
Like other organisation, recruitment and retention strategies are important for the hotel Marriott as it has a big brand name in the hotel industry. These two functions of human resource require strategic thoughts and planning. These factors are included in talent management, which is highly important for the growth of business. There are some factors that consider in the recruitment and retention, these are as follows-
- Recruiting qualified people- organisation’s goal of recruitment is to hire the right person for their job. Hotel industry always in need of potential employees because there are many tough tasks which is require for the daily basis. HR are the employment specialists they devise creative ways to recruit the most qualified people to increase the chances of success. (Guest, 2011).
- Retaining talented employees- Developing a retention strategy requires special skills in determining which employees are likely to seek opportunities in other places and which of them are most valuable to the business. Increments and bonus also work as a retention strategy.
- Tapping In-house talent- Establishing an employment referral program is a best way of recruiting people. HR creat an employee referral program that rewards employee, this procedure can be done by the help of recommendations of currently working employees(Van Buren and et. al., 2011).
2.2 Critical assessment of the techniques used to develop employees in the organization-
There are many different types of techniques which are used by the hospitality industry for developing their employees in the organisation. There are different types of program which are used specially in hotel industry; in Marriott there are many upgrading programs of training which are used to describe the relationship between employees and management. Marriott promise there employee in consider of their development opportunities programmes. Hotel spends money in the development and training of their employees.
This process can be take as investment because if the employees are smart in their services, than organisation gain more and more success. Employee development activities help employees to enhance their skills and upgrade their existing knowledge (Jackson and et.al., 2014). There are various methods of techniques in training in hotel business, t