Flat 25% Off on Your First Order! Use Code : NEWCUST22

5 Surprising Facts About the Earth You Probably Didn't Know

09 Apr 2022 6861 5 minutes
surprising earth facts

In our day-to-day life, we encounter many unusual phenomena, but we never wonder what, how & why it is happening. Let’s take an example of the planet on which we live, the Earth. It’s full of breathtaking events about them you might haven’t given a passing thought ever. Have you ever wondered why it is called the blue planet? Or why does it appear bright when looking upon from a distant place in space? If you are now scratching your head, then stop letting your mind wander. Read this deeply researched piece of content to know some brilliant facts about your own so-called planet ‘ the Earth.’ Take a look!

Fact-1: Why does it look so heavy?

  • In the solar system, Earth is the densest planet with a density of approximately 5.52 grams per cubic centimeter. Mercury follows it with a density value of nearly 5.427 grams per cubic centimeter.  
  • It’s shocking, but true at the same time that the Earth weighs nearly 5,974,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms. To understand this more simply, one can say that Earth’s weight is approximately equals to that of 54,807,339,449,541,284,403 blue whales.

Fact-2: Does it really take 24 hours to complete a revolution?

  • If you think that a year on Earth comprises 365 days, then this isn’t true. The actual figure is 365.2564 days. This extra 0.2564 day is the reason why we have a leap year after every four years.  
  • You might not be aware of this fact that the rotation of our Earth  is gradually downshifting. The pace of which is very minimal, i.e., approximately 17 milliseconds per hundred years. That means after 140 million years from now, a day will have 25 hours.

Fact-3: Why is it called the ‘Earth’?

  • This might make you a bit astonished that Earth is the only planet in the solar system which is not named after either a Greek or Roman God or Goddess.
  • The word "Earth" is derived from both German and English, 'erde' and 'eor(th)e/ertha,' respectively, which means ‘ground.’

Fact-4: What is so unusual about its layers?

  • The Earth comprises 3 layers with totally different composition: the crust, mantle, and core.  
  • The mantle is the thickest layer of Earth and contributes to 84% of the total volume of Earth.
  • The Earth’s core is as hot as the sun and made up of two layers, the outer and inner layer. And, their specific percentages in the overall core are still unknown.
  • The Earth’s core inherits Nickel and Iron, which when accompanying the Earth’s rotation produce a powerful magnetic field that protects this planet from the dreadful effects of solar winds.

Fact-5: Why is it the brightest planet in the solar system?

  • People call Earth the Blue Planet because its 70% surface is covered with water. But, out of that only 3% is fresh water, whereas the remaining 97% is salted.  
  • Earth is the only planet in our solar system to have water in all three of its forms (Liquid, Solis & Gas).
  • When sun rays strike the moving water covering the Earth, they get reflected and make this planet one of the brightest planets to look upon from a distant point in space.

Earth is not only full of elements, precious gems, and diamonds, but it is also full of mysteries and associated with many facts. Hope you liked reading the blog.

If you have an assignment submission deadline coming shortly, then you can take writing help from Global Assignment Help Australia. We have a dedicated team of excellent writers and academic experts who are well versed in almost all the concepts of this discipline. We provide the best assignment help to the scholars at reasonable prices.

Leave a Comment

Post Comment
Lowest price INR527.84

Get A+ Within Your Budget!

  • 24/7 Customer Support
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction
  • No Privacy Infringement
  • Quick Services
  • Subject Experts
  • Innovative Documents
FREE Tools

To Make Your Work Original

  • Paraphrasing Tool

    Check your work against paraphrasing & get a free Turnitin report!

    Check Paraphrasing
  • Plagiarism Checker

    Check your work against plagiarism & get a free Turnitin report!

    Check Plagiarism
  • Reference Generator

    Get citations & references in your document in the desired style!

    Generate References
  • Grammar Checker Tool

    Make your content free of errors in just a few clicks for free!

    Grammar Checker
  • Essay Typer

    Generate plagiarism-free essays as per your topic's requirement!

    Essay Typer
Back To Top
GAH_AU whatsapp