- 500+ Experts Online to help you 24x7
- Guaranteed Grade or Get Money Back!
- Rated 4.8/5 Out of 5087 Reviews
The human resource management is being adopted by almost every firm because of its sustained benefits. However, due to rapidly transforming business landscape, many human resource management challenges and issues are continuously evolving from years to come. Because of the fluctuating economy and various local and global advancements, numerous alterations are occurring and are significantly influencing the Human resource in a wide range of issues (Torrington, Hall and Taylor, 2008). At times, it becomes necessary on the part of HR managers to work on these issues and effectively prevent the activities of the company from getting obstructed. Though, it is first important to identify and highlight those issues and challenges. Concerning this, the present research report aims to determine varied challenges and issues related to human Resource management.
For this purpose, Inter-continental group of hotels (IHG) is being taken into consideration. IHG is a public owned organization that has its operation in many parts of UK and other nations as well. It is one of the largest and global hotels Company all across the world. The main priority of the management is to develop their people throughout the globe and thus, they are strengthening it by effective resource and staff planning (About us, 2018). Thus, the report will focus on analyzing the existing recruitment and selection process of Inter-continental group of hotels and design job description, person specification and appraisal methods for selecting the candidates.
Task – 1
Recruitment and selection process of Inter-continental group of hotels
Recruitment is defined as a process wherein the applications of the candidate are being accepted and the capabilities of the applicants are being identified. The inter-continental group of hotels has a set procedure in order to recruit people into their business. Whatever the role on the business it applies, they have the same procedure to follow. The employees are regarded as the important stakeholders and without their presence the hotel cannot carry out their operations. They need more effective workers in order to cope up with the increased sales, filling the vacancies and rising competition (Hoque, 2013). The hotel currently makes use of internal as well as external source for recruiting the employees. The internal recruitment is being performed through transfers, promotion, demotion, upgrading, appointing retired employees, dependent and relative of deceased employee. On the other hand, external recruitment is being conducted by advertising, educational institute, employee referral, placement agencies and recruitment at factory gate. Furthermore, the recruitment and selection process of Inter-continental group of hotels involves various stages such as determining the vacancy, preparing job description and specification, advertising, management of response, short-listing, arrangement for interview, conducting interviews and making final decision.
Talking in relation with the selection process of the hotel, the HR managers first carry out preliminary interview so as to reject those who are unmatched with the vacant job. Secondly, various tests are conducted such as ability test, aptitude tests etc. in order to judge the ability of an individual to perform the tasks (Routledge and Goss-Turner, 2013). Next, a formal and in-depth interview is carried out by the managers and if the applicants clear this stage, their reference and background is checked through formal letter or telephonic conversation. The managers then make the selection decision and conducts physical examination of the candidate. Finally, the job offer is being generated and respective employee is contacted by the HR. Recruitment and selection process of the hotel is affected by various recruitment policies, size of the firm, growth expansion, and cost of recruitment, unemployment rate, supply and demand, goodwill and competitors. Thus, it is important for the hotel to evaluate the effectiveness of the recruitment and selection process so as to cope up with these upcoming challenges (Crick and Spencer, 2012).
Effectiveness of recruitment and selection processes
The effectiveness of the recruitment and selection process can be evaluated by considering various factors. Seeking help through these factors, Inter-continental group of hotel can identify flaws and errors in their recruitment and selection processes and can work upon it to take suitable corrective actions (Davidson, McPhail and Barry, 2012). Explanation of these factors is as follows:
- Cost of the recruitment – This is considered as one of the most important factor in order to evaluate the effectiveness of recruitment and selection process. The inter-continental group of hotels takes into consideration internal and external source for recruitment. Vacancies are often fulfilled internally through promotion, transfers and up gradation, which is generally less costly in comparison with the external source of recruitment. The major costs are incurred in advertising for the job and selecting through campus placements.
- Retention rate and performance of applicant – Retention as well as performance of the candidates being selected effectively helps in determining that the recruitment and selection process being adopted by the hotel is appropriate or not. The increased sales as well as less labor turnover in the hotel are the evidence of appropriateness of these processes (Bratton and Gold, 2012).
- Time to fill – This factor provides support in analyzing the total time consumed by the HR managers in order to fill the vacant jobs. The main rationale behind this is vacant position cost money and it is better for the organization if the vacancies of positions are filled up faster. The HR managers of Inter-continental group of hotel makes significant efforts to fill up the vacancies as fast as possible.
- Suitable candidate for selection – It is also vital for evaluating the effectiveness of the recruitment and selection processes of the company. The performance of the new hire should be compared with the existing one. Through this, the firm can determine the performance gap if any and can conclude whether their decision was right or wrong (Armstrong and Taylor, 2014).
Creative advertisement for job of Human Resource Manager
The very first step into the process of external source of recruitment and selection is creating advertisement (Bamberger, Biron and Meshoulam, 2014). Here for the current research report, job advertisement for Human Resource Manager of Inter-continental group of hotel will be created and it is being described below:
Human resource Manager
The Inter-continental group of Hotels is seeking for Human Resource Managers with great inter-personal and communication skills, which can further build up strong relationships with the line managers and who can offer professional Human Resource services to our business.
- Developing human resource policies and procedures
- Delivering performance management programs
- Recruiting and selecting efficient employees
- Training and development programs
- Providing coaching and mentoring sub-ordinates
- An individual having extensive knowledge and experience in the field of Human Resource or within the HR environment
- A tertiary qualification in regards with the human resource management and business management
- High quality communication, leadership, inter-personal and managerial skills
- A track record of developing and establishing human resource policies and objectives in multi-business organizations
- Ability to influence people and their behavior
Don’t miss this attractive and rewarding opportunity and apply for this job by forwarding your resume to Paris hunter at Parirhunter@email.com
Inter-continental group of hotels
Denham, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom
Job analysis (Job description and person specification)
Human Resource Managers with great inter-personal and communication skills, which can further build up strong relationships with the line managers and who can offer professional Human Resource services to our business (Trullen and et.al., 2016). The responsibilities as HR manager of Inter-continental group of hotels are a